Friday, June 24, 2011

"Yaourt" from Lilly to Dory

So, I stumbled upon something pretty awesome today, and thought I would share.

Apparently, there's a term in French that is used to describe the substitution of French words to form nonsensical sentences in order to imitate the sound of English (in a comical or mocking tone).  It's called, "faire du yaourt" - "making yogurt."



Here's an example:


Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?
De Meuses raines, houp! de cloques.


Get it?  This post may give you a clue!

Anyway, the writer of the post in which I found this couldn't think of an equivalent English term.  Given that it's somewhat of an American tradition to imitate foreign languages for comedic purposes, it seems odd that we don't have a specific word or phrase that describes doing so.  Why do you think that is?

Love, Lilly

Edit: I've been thinking on this some more, and I've realized that this "yaourt" thing is actually very different than simple mockery.  If you look at the above example (which, hopefully you've noticed by now that it's meant to imitate the pronunciation of "Hickory Dickory Dock"), it obviously took a considerable amount of skill to construct.  I'm not sure of the actual French translation, but I'm thinking it's probably just a bunch of words arranged to sound like something else.  If that's the case, it can be compared to something like misheard lyrics:


Pro tip: DO NOT watch this video in a public place unless you are totally unembarrassed by uncontrollable fits of laughter.  

However, if the French translation actually has a coherent construction and meaning, I can see how it could be used as an even deeper level of satire; something totally worthy of an identifying term.


10 comments:

  1. HA! Interesting!

    I can't think of a phrase either! And we certainly have that tradition--I'm thinking especially of people making up random words that end with "ing" and "ong" to imitate Asian languages.

    I can't think of a good reason for it, except that we feel sorta vaguely about it and haven't come up with a term. Cuz that is SO not politically correct.

    It also could be because historically, America has been a huge mix of different languages and cultures, and so it has become SO commonplace that people don't think twice about it and so haven't come up with a term. Dunno. Maybe there's a term in British English?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, sidenote, "yaourt" is the most ridiculous French word. 4 vowels in a row? srsly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inorite?

    My thoughts are more on par with your second reason. I think it makes sense that French would have a term like this, with people there being more likely to be somewhat familiar with the workings of the language they're trying to imitate. In America, we have been and are certainly exposed to many languages, but for some reason part of our mindset as a culture prevents us from actually trying to learn or understand the other languages around us. So mocking other languages isn't even given a second thought, let alone a designated term.

    One thing I noticed in Mexico was the tendency of restaurant menus to be written in both Spanish and English. We were at one point sitting at a table in between a group speaking German and another group speaking Portuguese, and I wondered why the menu was only in two languages. It then occurred to me that most tourists (besides Americans) are going to be familiar enough with either English or Spanish or both that they don't need a translation in their own language. Americans are the only ones who are likely to speak only English, so the translation was for us.

    Kind of embarrassing 0_o.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Us Americans have a terrible reputation for that, with good reason. I just went into a restaurant and tried my best to ask in French if I should just pick a table or if they would sit me, and the server just responded in English, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although, I'm sure he appreciated that you did attempt to use French (and probably decently well). The typical American tourist would have just started right off in English (only to become frustrated if the person didn't understand). I wonder how he could tell you spoke English? Your accent maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll enjoy this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcUi6UEQh00

    It's what English sounds like to foreigners. (The singer is an Italian comic, and what he's singing isn't English; it just sounds like it.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Misheard Lyrics video is amazing! lololol.

    As to the French bit, I don't really see a meaning there. Here's what I get out of it:

    And who laughs the priests of [Oc?]
    Of [Meuses raines, houp! ?] of blisters.

    ..yeah, I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  8. and omg...that video doesn't mean ANYTHING. <3

    ReplyDelete